Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 12, 2014

If I'm going to be a mess, I may as well be a hot-mess

First of all, I need to apologize that it's been two whole days since I have posted. So sorry! It's been a crazy couple of days. Including resting up after the hospital (catching up on sleep) and rushing back to the hospital yesterday (for my little sister, not myself). But anyway, I'm here now!

One thing that I've always found amusing is that when someone finds out that you have an illness or autoimmune disease and they say, "But you don't look sick." But let me just quote Mindy Kahling here by saying,

"If I'm going to be a mess, I may as well be a hot-mess." - Mindy Kahling

Pause for a second, just so I can tell you that I literally just right now spilled coffee onto my eye. Seriously, how do these things happen?! At least I have now discovered, that coffee works as a great makeup remover. Like I said -- HOT MESS. 

But getting back to what I earlier said about people telling me that I don't look sick -- I really never know how to react to that statement. It's like, are you accusing me of not being sick because I don't look sick or are you complimenting me that I can still manage to look like a normal human being even though I am sick? It's just confusing and I never know how to react. Another thing I get a lot, more so from close friends and family is, "If you feel so bad all the time, why do you put effort into stuff like getting all dressed up and doing your hair and makeup?" Want an answer? Yeah, I feel like crap most of the time. Yeah, I'm exhausted. Yeah, I could be doing other things with my time, like getting an extra half hour of sleep or whatever else. But to me, looking nice is something that gives my life a little more normality. It's something that gives me more routine and makes me feel normal. When you're sick you spend a lot of time in sweatpants without makeup or your hair done. So when you get the chance to get out of the house, you usually try to make it worth your while. 

I wear makeup for myself. I style my hair for myself. Just because my body is sick, doesn't mean I need to surrender to the exhaustion and under-eye dark circles. One of my favourite quotes kind of sums this all up. Here it is,

"I got dressed this morning for myself. Put on eyeliner for myself. Put on my favourite red lipstick for myself. Showed a bit of skin for myself. I wanted to be beautiful for myself."

Thanks for checking out the blog today! And thank you to all those who have been following from the beginning. I am so thankful for all of you! And I hope everyone has an amazing Christmas Holiday! I will be updating and posting until Monday. But I am leaving for my wonderful Cuba vacation on Tuesday -- So I'll be MIA for one week. Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment